Your Opportunity to participate and Influence the Current and Future Direction of NHS
There is compelling evidence that an involved, participative and dynamic school community results in better educational outcomes for our children/students. Currently, we have vacancies to join school council .
There is a lot happening at NHS in the coming months with plenty of ways you can get involved:
- NHS 90th Birthday Celebrations
- Fun(draising) – Book TALKfest (Thu 05 May) and Chuck a Buck Comedy @NHS
- Campus Facilities Upgrades
- Performance Hub and VCE Centre – New build
- Art and Design Hub (refurbishment)
- Planning for community Gym (2 x court)
- Project Refresh - Realising the Vision for our Children
- Changes in the world (technology, how work is done) and therefore the programs, learning and teaching at NHS
- Internationalisation through closer ties with:
- Our new Sister School Tianjin Foreign Language School (more next newsletter)
- Partnerships with Huaibei No. 1 High School through the VCE Offshore Project
- 2017 Music Tour to China and Vic Young Leaders Program to China in Nov 2016
- Programs such as Music, Debating, Production, Sports and year level philanthropic projects
PARTNERSHIP AND PARTICIPATION SUPPORTS A VIBRANT AND ENGAGED SCHOOL COMMUNITY
Recent changes have meant that there are TWO vacancies to join school council.
To be part of school council you don’t need to know anything in particular. You just need to be interested and curious about what the school is doing and why, be available to attend monthly council meetings and willing to participate in a working group.
Existing council members will help you to make a meaningful contribution whilst on council (or a working group).
Whilst Council will welcome all nominations, there is a particular need for parents with expertise in the following areas:
- Project Manager/Architect/Engineer
If you are keen or would like more information please contact:
Gabby Ostrognay, School Council President via [email protected]
Kate Morris, Principal, via morris.kate.l @edumail.vic.gov.au
SAFE SCHOOLS AND NORTHCOTE HIGH
Northcote High School is a founding member of the Safe Schools Coalition (SSC) and as such has been asked to comment on the recent public debate regarding the SSC program and funding. Most recently we have partnered with Darebin Council and their voice of support for the Safe Schools Coalition particularly advocating for social inclusion and human rights for all, regardless of sexuality, gender identity or sex characteristics.
GREAT NEWS - PERFORMANCE HUB receives $1.5 MILLION extra
Over recent months we have been working with Fiona Richardson (Member for Northcote) in regard to facilities planning and securing funding now and in the future for our growing school.
In the recent State Budget we were delighted to receive an extra $1.5M to top up the initial $3M funding for the Performance Hub – which will fund the extra brand new build including:
- Black box theatre
- Music rehearsal room
- Instrumental music spaces
- Music classroom, staff spaces, storerooms and
- VCE Centre
This is a great outcome for NHS!
COMMUNITY FUNDRAISING – FIT OUT AND FURNITURE!
We are now reliant on our school community to deliver a high level fit out for the Performance HUB through fundraising – think furniture, fixtures and fittings.
Please embrace opportunities to be part of the NHS community and contribute:
- BOOK TALKfest this Thursday (05 May)
- Chuck some Bucks Comedy nite in August
- Give generously to the NHS Building and Library Fund Tax deductible donations
EXCITING NEWS! NHS BEGINS COMMUNITY GYM (2 X COURT) PLANNING
Part of the extra $1.5M is to begin the planning and development of a business case, concept plans and cost planning for a Community Stadium (2 x Courts). If you have expertise in this area – it would be great to hear from you.
Kate Morris, Principal