Dear Parents and Caregivers, Konnichiwa!
Staffing 2017 and 2018
Term 3, 2017 has brought some staffing changes due to staff taking leave, these include
- Daniel Moyle replacing Sue Reynolds for 5 weeks, 4 days per week commencing at the start of term 3
- Kyra Tunney replacing Margaret Henry for 3 weeks, 4 days per week, commencing at the start of term 3
- Brodie Borg replacing Ellen Eisenkolb for 8 weeks, fulltime from 14 August until the end of term 3
- Tom Wilkinson replacing Mike Scott for the rest of the year, 2 days per week, making Tom fulltime PE teacher
- Sally Moore replacing Renee Cram for 10 days when Renee gets married
- Laura Langton replacing Pauline McAuliffe one day per week when Pauline has patterned long service leave.
For 2018 and beyond a number of teacher vacancies will arise due to
- Two teachers taking a teacher renewal package and retiring
- Two further retirements
- One teacher winning a teacher position at another school
- Trevor Potter has already retired and he has been replaced by Wade Ball and experienced PE teacher moving from Roxby Downs Area School
So, welcome to Grange to our new staff and all the best to staff taking leave and/or retiring. I will keep you informed as new teacher placements and appointments are made.
Games/Sports Day change of date
Traditionally the Grange Primary School Games/Sports Day has been held in term 4 of the school year. This year it was scheduled on the school planner to occur on Friday 3 November.
Last year I received significant feedback from parents and staff expressing concerns about holding this major event when the weather is warmer and the day can be quite hot. Addressing this very real concern Games/Sports Day will now be held this term, term 3, on Friday the 1st of September. Many other schools have made similar decisions to provide the best environment on this important day. While there are no guarantees of what the weather will be like on the day, we do know that the day is much more likely not to be a hot day.
By moving the day to term 3, week 6, Friday, 01/09/2017 it also brings other benefits in that some of the events can be used as a selection process for student participation at District Athletics Carnival day which is held in term 3, week 8 and it moves the day out of a crowded and busy term 4.
We have also followed up on other parent and staff feedback and we will not be selling soft drinks on the day, as has happened in the past, just water. The health and wellbeing of our students, parents, friends, community and staff is of utmost importance and has informed and directed these decisions, as we believe the school needs to model best practice. So to summarise, Games/Sports Day will now be held this term, term 3 on Friday the 1st of September.
I wanted to pass on this information to you as soon as we had made this decision, as I know Games/Sports Day is a highly regarded and well attended event by our families and friends. Thank you for your support in this matter and in the provision of the very best learning environment for our students.
Student free and total closure day reminder
At the start of this year our Governing Council approved the 2017 student free and total closure days. There are two remaining for 2017 and these occur this term. We have a whole of Western Adelaide Shores Primary Partnership shared student free day on Monday 21 August. On this day all 350 teachers from the 8 Primary schools will be working on learning design, assessment and moderation, sharing their work and practice over the past terms. The total closure day, day of local significance for the Royal Adelaide Show is on Friday 8 September.
Grant Small, Principal
Grange Primary School