Does this ever happen to you when your child comes home from school and you are curious about their day and you have lots of questions to ask, so you get started:
“Hi! How was school today?”
“Fine.” Your child says, already grabbing a book, tablet, snack etc…
…and then the conversation is over.
Below are mix of questions that are fun and open ended. You’ll also find some more serious questions to help you talk about tough topics.
1. What was your favourite part about school today?
2. What activity did you like the most today? And the least?
3. What did you think of the first activity you did today?
4. If you could do any moment at school over today, what would it look like?
5. What was the funniest thing that happened in your class today?
6. Which activity did you feel most confident about today?
7. What is your favourite Specialist Class and why?
8. What’s the most interesting thing you heard at school today?
9. If you could change just ONE thing about school, what would that be?
10. What made you laugh/worry/smile in school today?
11. What 3 words would you use to describe your best friend in school?
12. What did you do at lunch time today?
13. If you had $1,000 to buy something for your school, what would you buy and where would you put it?
14. What qualities do you like most about your teacher?
15. What is something your teacher said to you today that you are still thinking about?
16. If you could put a spell on your teacher and change tomorrow’s lessons, what would you make the learning all about?
17. Who did you play with/talk with at school today?
18. What is one of your friend’s favorite part of school? Is that the same for you or different?
19. If a famous person could come to teach a class at your school, who would that be and what would they teach?
20. What parts of school today went by the fastest? Slowest?
21. When I went to school there was some students who didn’t make the right choices all the time and sometimes they made others feel sad. Have your ever seen this at your school? What can you do if this happens?
22. What is one thing you have learnt at school this year you think you will remember forever?
23. Was there anything you wanted to learn more about today but didn’t have time to ask the teacher about?
24. What is your favorite spot in your school/classroom?
25. What are you looking forward to learning at school tomorrow/this month/this year?
Ariadne is a happy and busy mum to three children. She practices peaceful, playful, responsive parenting and is passionate about all things parenting and chocolate. Ariadne has a Masters in Psychology and is a certified Positive Discipline Parenting Educator. She lives on top of a beautiful mountain with her family, and one cuddly dog.