Dear Parents and Friends,
Last Wednesday we gathered as a whole school community to celebrate our Year 12 Assembly, family morning tea and our Year 12 Valedictory. A huge thank you to Georgie Schofield and our senior school team who worked with students to plan and prepare these important events on the school calendar.
We would love to share with you our message to our Year 12 graduates during the assembly.
“Good morning students and guests.
It fills us with a great deal of pride to be standing here this morning and speaking to you all on behalf of all of the staff who have cared for our fabulous Year 12 students throughout their time at the College.
This morning’s assembly is a celebration of our Year 12 students - a chance to reflect on the past six years and a chance to look towards the future.
Graduating from Year 12, having completed your VCE or VCAL is a brilliant achievement – congratulations and well done!
In time, we trust you will look back upon your time at McGuire College with pride and satisfaction regarding the friends you have made, the battles you have both won and lost, the experiences you have enjoyed and the most importantly success you have achieved.
Let’s take a trip back in time, how well do you remember?
- Your very first Day of Year 7?
- The sporting achievements, swimming sports, athletics carnivals - the medals and those long runs around the oval, the games in the gym?
- The moment you realised that entering the senior school meant you had to actually think about what you wanted to do in life!
- Heading out to work experience?
- The essays and assignments and exam prep which seem to have no end?
- The school camps – the outdoor education adventures - the Year 12 urban camp adventures?
- Perhaps for some of you the most memorable occasion will be those which happened outside the College - the deb ball and senior school formals – the red carpet entrances, beautiful candelabra centrepieces, and partying the night away?
- And finally, the blur of completing Year 11 and Year 12
For some of you, success in the coming months may be measured by qualifying for university, getting into the TAFE course you applied for, getting into paid employment or even embarking on some form of travel.
Regardless of what your endeavours may be, the future is yours to take advantage of, to make a difference and to seize the great opportunities which are yours for the taking.
We would like to share with you what success means from us, your McGuire champions who you have shared this journey with.
For us, as your teachers and supporters:
- Success isn’t about you being rich or famous; it is about you making a valuable contribution and having a wonderful life.
- Success is about you finding fulfilment and happiness.
- Success is about you being surrounded by loving family and friends.
- Success is about you feeling satisfied with your career pathway but more importantly feeling proud of how you serve others.
- Success is about you achieving a goal that you know you have set and worked on and accomplished!
- Success is about you standing back and being proud of what you have accomplished as a student at McGuire College.
Our wish for you as you embark on adventures far and wide is for you to:
- Have no regrets.
- Be kind and work hard.
- Treat all people kindly – most importantly treat yourself kindly.
- Strive to make a positive difference to the people you meet and the people you already know.
- Because you are so important to all of us at McGuire College, we urge you to continue to learn and grow into the successful and compassionate young people we know you as.
- You are our future.
- Whilst on your journey to brilliance – remember - NEVER FORGET, you are McGuire people. The best people.
Farewell fabulous Year 12s, may fortune always follow you!
Have a great week.