Name: Scott Ciantar
My name is Scott Ciantar. I graduated in 2003 and had aspirations of being a dentist (influenced mainly by my dad and his expensive and painful past experiences).
I am now a qualified medical scientist in a commercial role as a Category Manager for a global diagnostics company and months away from completing my MBA.
The reason for the directional change, was that once I completed my undergraduate studies (a pre-requisite for dentistry at the time), I did some on the job training and work experience with my own dentist, and found that it wasn’t for me. So, I pursued my passion for business and science, and moved through from being a scientific officer in a food company, to working in the pharmaceutical industry, to selling and then installing diagnostic equipment and finally into a technical marketing role.
My greatest achievements include:
- Marrying my university sweetheart and having two beautiful children (Hunter and Poppy)
- Travelling the world and getting paid to do it (as part of my various roles within a multinational)
- Being recognised as technical sales professional of the year (and runner up on two additional occasions)
- Pursuing a good opportunity when I saw it (the change from technical to commercial)
- Coaching and mentoring my team to achievements that are recognised by senior leaders in the business
- Launching a blockbuster new diagnostic marker for renal health screening and delivering the strongest year 1 result across the globe
- Giving back to the community including 7 years as a Rotary Youth Leadership Academy staff member and various volunteering roles
My memories from Cecil Hills High School include:
- Mr Condon’s tea towel shorts!
- Playing wall ball near the drama theatre
- Student vs Teacher sporting events
Companion Animal Group Category Manager
Australia & New Zealand
IDEXX Laboratories Pty Ltd ABN 31 063 154 352
Unit 6, 38 – 46 South St,
Rydalmere NSW 2116 Australia