Mr David Mowbray
There have been a couple of great news stories in the last week or so.
Firstly, the Wakakirri team recently enjoyed some well-deserved success at the Frankston round of competition as Winners of the Spirit of Wakakirri, Participating Award, Best Individual Award, Best Backstage Crew, and Best Public Speaking Award. This is a tremendous acknowledgement of the effort and skill demonstrated by the whole team throughout the long preparation time leading up to the performance.
Secondly, the Year 10 Spaghetti Machine challenge team took their machine to Melbourne University last week as part of a 25 school state-wide engineering competition. Capably supported through the design and creation of the machine by senior campus Laboratory Technician Patrick Hull the team unleashed the can-crushing beast and took out 4th place. It is currently on display in the foyer of the senior campus.
Over the previous two weeks all teachers have been seeking feedback from selected classes about how the students learn, about the level of being engaged and challenged by the work, the support given by teachers in teaching the subject and how safe the environment is for learning.
The College results showed:
Area of Strength: Is in planning for and implementing effective teaching and learning and this was supported by the students’ top 3 responses in the teacher knows the topics in this subject, the teacher treats me with respect, and students know what they are supposed to do in their classes.
An Area for Growth: is in creating and maintaining safe and supportive learning environments as students felt: that there is some time wasted; the lesson needs a review or summing up at the end; and that some of the work is boring.
The 2017 NAPLAN results have been released to schools and we will take the next coups of weeks to digest the information and design strategies to continue student performance in the academic area.
Overall, a preliminary look over the data shows us that 129 Year 9 students completed all tests in reading, writing, numeracy, grammar and punctuation, and spelling in both year 7 and year 9 at TC and they can be placed into 4 different performance areas:
- 45% of the students are optimal performers – that is, high achieving and growing at a high level.
- 19% of students are growth students – low achievement levels, but high growth. This is positive and something to celebrate.
- 15% of students are just cruising – high achievement, but only low growth. This is a concern as they are not being stretched and we need to challenge them with not more work, but levels of work that stimulate their thinking and move them out of their comfort zone.
- 21% of students must change – they are lower than expected in their achievement and not growing. We need to identify and support the needs of these students better.
In summary, over half of these students (64%) are doing well and we need to continue to support and deliver to their needs. The rest (36%) need challenge, stimulation and guidance to enable success as they move up through the school and into Year 10 and VCE.
Two major support events available for students and parents are the Parent-Teacher-Student interview that were held onThursday 17th at the Junior Campus 1-8pm and the Course Counselling sessions to assist students choose the correct pathway for the next 3 years at the Senior Campus