This year MPW has been fortunate to secure the services of Literacy Consultant, Lorraine Wilson. Lorraine’s work and approach to teaching and learning very much compliments the school’s Teaching and Learning Philosophy.
Lorraine is an author of many children’s books as well as teaching resources such as; Teaching Phonics in Context - L. Wilson and D. Hornsby, Writing to Live and Reading to Live. She is also a respected literacy consultant, recognised for many achievements such as:
- ALEA Medal, awarded by the Australian Literacy Educators’ Association, 1996
- The 2004 Service Award, presented by the Whole Language Umbrella, USA.
- The ALEA Citation of Merit Award for Literacy – The Garth Boomer Award- awarded by the Australian Literacy Educators Association, 2005
- Life Time Membership Award, presented by the National Council of Teachers of English, USA, 2011.
In first term, Lorraine has been working mostly with the P/1 team and she will continue to work with our teaching staff across the school in term two. During these sessions, Lorraine demonstrates good practice in the teaching of English. Areas that have been covered so far are; personal writing-including conferencing, publishing, ideas, spelling, punctuation and genre, modelled writing, shared writing, shared literature, language experience, dialogue, monologue, conversation and innovation.
Some of the areas that will be covered in term two include; poetry, oral language, speaking and listening and debating… just to name a few.
The teaching and learning of English is complex and Moonee Ponds West is very lucky to have Lorraine supporting our staff to consolidate and embed a whole school pedagogy and learning framework, which has an agreed language and is evident through consistent practice.
We would like to take this opportunity to invite our families to two information sessions, one about writing and one about reading, which will be held in the performance space.
- Parent Information about writing Monday 1st May at 09:30-10:30
- Parent Information about reading Monday 8th May at 09:30-10:30
Unfortunately, we are unable to provide childcare for either of these information sessions so we ask that you make other arrangements if care is required.
Please complete the below form and return to the office.
Parent Information Sessions Writing and reading-1.pdf