FAITH FORMATION OF STUDENTS
At St Andrews Christian College we declare we are a Shalom Community – Christ-centred, God-fearing, Bible-focussed and Spirit-led. But are our practices (what we do and how we do them) really helping the faith formation of our students?
Are we encouraging our students and modelling Christ in all we do or actually turning them off and discouraging their faith or desire to know Christ as their Lord and Saviour?
To find the answers to these questions we ran a detailed survey with all our students from Years 8 to Year 12.
Praise God! The results indicated that we are (some more than others) helping students to know God and their purpose in His world and educating our students so that they are well skilled, understand life on the basis of biblical truth, and motivated to walk with God and serve Him in their lives.
ST ANDREWS CHRISTIAN COLLEGE MISSION STATEMENT
To educate our students so that they are well skilled, understand life on the basis of biblical truth, and are motivated to walk with God and serve Him in their lives, so that they will be a positive Christian influence in the world.
Clearly from our students’ responses, the biggest influences on our students are their peers and the staff.
There are some beautiful comments and testimonies from students in the survey responses that display how God is working in all of us and through us to impact our students and the world for Christ.
- I had an allergic reaction on camp which caused my entire face to swell up. Instead of feeling uncomfortable and wanting to go home, I enjoyed it just the same because of the care of the teachers on camp who made sure I was feeling both mentally and physically alright. Their care for me showed me that God can work in peoples’ lives through other people.
- If it wasn’t for this school, I probably wouldn’t have known about God.
- I thought my faith was enough before coming to St Andrews, however, when I saw other students’ devotion to Christ in the school, I came to the realisation that I have much more to do before becoming faithful in Christ. St Andrews really developed me to build my faith.
- At the end of last year, I got really sick and almost missed a whole semester of school. On a few days I was here, my friends and teachers were so encouraging. Many people said they had been praying for me which made me feel really loved an appreciated. It was their support that got me through.
- By coming to St Andrews, my faith has been developed and I can now call myself a Christian.
- Just the way teachers go above and beyond with what is required in their job description. After really struggling with issues in my life, my teachers have provided so much support for me and have made me realise that God is there and He is carrying me through everything. It has made the whole recovery process that little bit easier. I can honestly say that without their support I wouldn’t be where I am now. I think the most important thing is teachers investing into their students as the difference can literally be life changing.
- Go to Vanuatu! (Mission Trip) It will be an incredible, life-changing experience.
Praise God for our beautiful community!
Great friends and great teachers do make the difference. Students in our care are prayed for and nurtured in who they are, “made in the image of God.”