2017 Queensland Tour Results
Congratulations to the 2017 Queensland Tour Squad who won the 2nd Division Competition at the Gold Coast Rugby Carnival. Not only did the team go through the tournament undefeated, they did not concede a single point in all five matches. Special mentions to Joe Hinchey who took out the Players Player Award and Nathaniel Panozzo who was given the Coaches Award. Thanks must go to the coaching staff who gave up their holidays to travel with the boys. Well done to all involved.
St Pius X Senior Rugby Rugby Fixtures – 22nd July 2017
St Pius X Rugby Club Supporters Social Night – Saturday 26th August from 5.30pm at the Willoughby Hotel: Please see details in the Rugby Club News section below.
Mr J Lynch - Rugby Convenor
FROM THE RUGBY DEVELOPMENT OFFICER
After a three week layoff and against a team that are travelling a long way to play us, it’s time to switch on right from the kick off. Before the break our commitment and enthusiasm was really high and we were playing some really exciting running rugby. We know St Stanislaus will be tough and used to dealing with the long coach ride. We have to accept this challenge and start our games strongly and at pace. Here are three areas we can focus on.
- Run hard and straight
- Pass accurately and support
- Get off the defensive line quickly and make effective tackles.
Great to be back at Oxford Falls.
Mike Penistone - Rugby Development Officer
RUGBY CLUB NEWS
(1) SPX Rugby Club Dinner: Thank you for your attendance and support – over $36K was raised. We would like to thank all who contributed to the evening and the 220 attendees at the recent SPX Rugby Club Dinner, who through their generosity and whilst having a most enjoyable evening, assisted us in raising over $36,000 from the dinner and the associated major raffle. These funds will be utilised by the SPX Rugby Club to continue assisting the College with the ongoing development of the Rugby Program at St Pius X College and hopefully adding to the enjoyment that each of the SPX Rugby players receives from their chosen winter sport.
Please click below to see the attached Placemat from the Dinner which lists the contributors to the night. We would be most grateful if you would give consideration to giving preference to these individuals and businesses when considering purchases of goods and services.
(2) Brothers’ Rugby ‘Lunch in the City’ – 12 noon on 28th July at Darling Harbour: Brothers’ Rugby Club, who were great contributors to the recent SPX Rugby Dinner and great long-term supporters of SPX Rugby, are holding their annual Rugby Lunch on Friday 28th July at L’Aqua, Roof Top Level, Cockle Bay, Darling Harbour. MC for the lunch will be former Wallaby and current Fox Sports personality Rod Kafer. The Special Guest Speaker will be the former Australian Wallaby Captain Nick Farr-Jones and a further Special Guest is former Wallaby and current Melbourne Rebels Assistant Coach, Morgan Tirinui. Tickets are $150 each. It would be great if as many SPX supporters could get along to the lunch as possible to support Brothers’ Rugby whilst enjoying what promises to be a most entertaining afternoon. If you would like to join an SPX table at the lunch please contact Paul O’Neill on 0418-634750 or [email protected] or [email protected]. Click on the flyer below for more details.
(3) SPX Rugby (Senior School) taking on Kinross Wolaroi College at Orange on Saturday 12th August: The Senior College (Under 13s to Opens) will be playing Kinross Wolaroi College at Orange on Saturday 12th August. The Rugby Club will be arranging a dinner in Orange on the evening of Friday 11th August for those who are travelling up to Orange on the Friday. We have also reserved some discounted motel rooms in Orange on the Friday night for SPX supporters. Further details re the dinner and the reserved accommodation will follow shortly. As per normal the College will have a bus leaving Chatswood early Saturday morning and returning from Orange that afternoon for players whose parents are not driving up to Orange.
(4) SPX Rugby Presentation Night for both the Senior and Junior College – Tuesday 22nd August: The College will be holding the Rugby Presentation Night for both the Senior and Junior College boys on the evening of Tuesday 22nd August. The Junior School Presentation (Years 5 & 6) will commence at the Sarto Centre at 5.30pm and conclude at 6.45pm. The Senior School Presentation will be held in the College Gymnasium commencing at 7pm and concluding about 8.30pm.
(5) SPX Rugby Club Supporters 'End of Season Social Get Together’ at The Willoughby Hotel on Saturday 26th August: As a ‘thank you’ to all our SPX Rugby Supporters the Rugby Club will be holding an ‘End of Season Social Get Together’ at the Willoughby Hotel from 5.30pm on Saturday 26th August. The Rugby Club, through the hotel, will provide a good selection of high quality ‘stand-up’ food and those attending will only have to pay for their own drinks at normal pub bar prices. We have secured the whole first floor for ourselves for the function. This will NOT be a fundraising night. It is simply a way for the Rugby Club to say thank you to all the teachers, coaches, support staff, mums, dads, grandmas, granddads and others who have been there every week supporting the SPX Rugby boys and being an active part of our SPX Rugby Community. It’s the week of the SPX College Rugby Presentation Night, a Bledisloe Cup match night (on the screen at the hotel) and the right time to celebrate a very successful and enjoyable SPX 2017 Rugby season! The venue may sell out early so we recommend that you book your FREE tickets ASAP by going to the TryBooking Direct Link https://www.trybooking.com/299087
Paul O’Neill - President, St Pius X College Rugby Supporters Club