Dear Parents and Friends,
Society says ‘get’. Jesus says ‘give’.
When we give and serve with a heart of wanting to give glory to God, lives are transformed.
“Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.”
Romans 12:2 (NIV)
Acts of service not only bless those who receive, but especially those that give. It changes lives and communities.
When we step out in areas beyond our conceived capabilities to serve God, He equips and enables us beyond our imagination. It is in this realm that we really discover the gifts and talents God has given us and learn to know His will for our lives.
Service and mission is a mindset contrary to society, but essential for a Christian school. For it is in Christian service, stepping out of the known into the unknown in God’s love and grace where students grow more like Christ. They also gain resilience; learn flexibility; discover their creativity; practise their values and faith; grow strong and courageous; understand global issues; learn to work in collaboration with others who are different; gain critical thinking skills and become innovative problem solvers.
This type of learning not only prepares our children for a dynamically changing world, but for eternity.
God has abundantly blessed us and in response to His command, we are to love and serve others.
“Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms. If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen.”
1 Peter 4:10-11 (NIV)
When our students go on mission, they grow in amazing ways. I encourage our staff, parents, families and EVERY student to step out of their comfort zone and go on a life-changing mission trip.
Mission Opportunities for 2017
- Vanuatu – Tata Presbyterian School - July school holidays. See Andrew and Sally Wade ASAP. For Year 9 – 12 students and families.
- Cambodia with Samaritans Purse - December (return before Christmas). See Greg Crotty ASAP. For Year 10 – 12 students and parents.
Possibility for 2018 – details to come.
- Romania – Global Christian Schools Conference. Students – Year 10, 11 and 12. Servicing with other Christian students from around the world in needy communities in Romania.
Policies and Procedures
Did you know you can access our newsletter and find out many of our policies and procedures on our website? www.standrews.vic.edu.au
These policies and procedures help you to know the expectations/behaviours we have at St Andrews Christian College.
Please especially note our Child Safety Policy which is pertinent to everyone in the College community as it is everyone’s responsibility to look out for the safety of our children.
Please also note our Bullying Policy. Home class teachers will be going over the expectations for all our students in the next couple of weeks. Parents, please contact your child’s teacher ASAP if you have any concerns about your child being bullied.
Please also note on our website, the Grievance Policy – for anyone in our community that has a concern and feels we have not dealt fairly with that particular issue.
There are so many wonderful things happening at St Andrews, but I would like to know if there are issues in our school you feel we haven’t handled well, such as bullying issues, so we can face and deal with these problems.
Vividus Survey 2016
Thank you to all our parents who took part in the Satisfaction Survey last year. We take the results seriously and discuss these in depth with Vividus staff and at our executive and board meetings.
We continually desire to improve and be a College that provides an excellent Christian education for all our students and families.
To access the results of the survey, click on the following attachment:
Goals for 2017
As a result of evaluating our goals for 2016 in line with our Strategic Directions Plan (2014 – 2018) for the College and in analysing the results of the Vividus 2016 Surveys, the ELT have developed the goals for this year.
Christ Centred College:
- Continuing staff training in Christian Education and teaching from a biblical worldview
- Providing greater opportunities to develop students’ gifts and biblical understanding
- Guiding students through our Values and Student Leadership Programs
Development of Whole Child:
- Continue to build Performing and Creative Arts Programs and opportunities across the College
- Building and strengthening the Well-Being Program
- Growing the Leadership and Mentoring Program
- Work towards introducing Visual Arts into VCE
- Enhance sporting options across the College
- Continue to look at ways of building Drama opportunities in Junior School
- Develop study skills and stress management programs for students
- Enhance clubs and mentor programs
- Consistently reviewing and analysing data (PAT/VCE/NAPLAN) to improve results
- Continuing to grow and strengthen Faculties across the College
- Build on our VCE results
- Enhance the Gifted and Talented Opportunities and Extension Programs
- Develop a Digital Technologies Strategic Plan for the College
- Enhance Problem Solving and Critical Thinking Programs and Curriculum Integration
- Strategically direct Professional Development to achieve staff personal goals and College goals
- Staff trained to analyse student assessment data and measure development
- Introduce more Community House Activities
- Build an Alumni database
- Continue to build communication channels throughout the College
- Review ancillary cost structures throughout the College
- Continue to review and enhance major transition points - from Years 6 to 7 and 8 to 9
- Raise recognition of success and regularly celebrate achievements of milestones
- Improve marketing opportunities across the College
- Introduce a Marketing Manager
- Appoint a Chaplain and raise the profile across the College
- Update ICT infrastructure in line with our Digital Technologies Strategic Plan
- Relocate Junior School Toilet Block and Middle School Locker Bay
Many blessings for the year,