Unfortunately, due to new restrictions, the usual competitions and events we compete in have been postponed or cancelled. Spare a thought for our RSA students who will need to practice their mental discipline even more diligently alongside their physical disciplines to maintain motivation over this time.
The RSA Golfers have trained solidly this term with an eye to key events such as the VSSSA Qualifying at Eastwood Golf Club and the Australian Junior Championships in Canberra.
First term has gone so fast and the growth scoreboards of many of our golfers have also risen quickly. We look forward to seeing where the strong achievement rate of our RSA Golfers will take us over the next 2 months.
Written by Mr. Tim Wendel, Coach.
We have had a good start to the year spending our training time developing the foundations and basics that will set us up for future competitions. The Year 7s have settled in well and all other girls have transitioned well into their new training groups. All groups have worked on setting ‘Above the Line’ standards they have committed to for the year, as well as individual goals to keep them motivated and on track.
Written by Ms. Erin Bell , Coach.
This year we have made a positive start with our intermediate and senior groups already winning their way through district stage at SSV level.
Increased numbers of quality players in our program, including a higher intake of female cricketers, are all positive signs for our cricket program for the future.
Written by Mr. Darren Berry, Coach.
RSA Football (Soccer)
RSA Senior squads have been able to exhibit their skills playing in the SSV PREMIER LEAGUE competition sponsored by Melbourne Victory. At the point of the tournament being suspended due to the Coronavirus situation the boys results have been as follows.
- RSA Draw 5-5 with John Fawkner College
- RSA Win 5-1 against SEDA
The girls senior squad results have been
- RSA Win 8-1 against University HS
- RSA Win 11-2 against Northcote HS.
These results indicate both teams are looking good for qualification through to the semi-final stage. All other squads will be in action, subject to restrictions due to the Coronavirus, beginning in term 2 and beyond.
- Written by Mr. Ian Greener, Coach.
RSA Aussie Rules Football (AFL)
It’s been a fantastic start for the AFL program at RSA, in particular, how well our new students have settled in. We have a very enthusiastic group of new Year 7's, with a majority of them completing the first challenge of the year, which was to successfully juggle 3 tennis balls for 15 seconds. A lot of the students had never juggled before, but by listening to instructions, working hard and practice they were able to achieve the task set by the start of March. Very well done!!
All other students have come back and jumped into training with great energy and a number of our players have been selected for NAB League squads, both boys and girls and in U/18's and U/16's programs.
We wish them all the best this year, and continue to ask all members of the program to be not only the best player they can be, but more importantly the best person they can be off the field.
Written by Mr. Darren Bewick, Coach.
It has been a very busy first term for the Volleyball program with SSV Group Finals, State Team Selections, National Selections and Vic Beach Championships.
- SSV Group Round Robin
- Senior Girls Champions
- Inter Girls and Inter Boys Champions
- SSV under 16 State Team selections: well done to Krisahna Demetriou Yr 9, Tahlia Saravanamuttu Yr 9, Seth Monahan Yr 9
- National Junior Beach Championships Gold Coast - Seth Monahan Yr 9
- National Youth Squad Selection - Krisahna Demetriou Yr 9
- National Junior Squad V Japan at AIS Rohan Affonso yr 11
- Vic Cup Beach Championships - Rowville SC crowned Champion School 2nd year in a row. 3rd win overall. 6 Gold Medals and 2 Silver Medals.
Written by Peter Bundy, Coach.
Here are the highlights below from our Basketball program.
- Under 15 girls (National Schools Champions) invited to represent Australia at the first ever World High School’s Championships to be conducted in Zadar, Croatia.
- Intermediates Year 9 / 10 RSA Invitational Tournament
- All Juniors Years 7 / 8 Shooting video’s compiled and forwarded to students and parents for review and critique.
- Successful before school State Development Program conducted on Wednesday mornings 7.00am – 8.45am
- Two thirds total attendance by basketball athlete students at before school tutoring program on Tuesday and Thursday mornings.
- Sleep study video’s x 3 delivered to years 7 – 10.
- Stress and de-stress programs undertaken and are ongoing.
- Organisation and individual weekly and monthly schedules are progressing.
- Above and Below the Line behaviours established with all students.
- Compulsory in program school study focus sessions activated.
- Two recovery sessions per week activated – Yoga and Pilates.
- Fundamentals and Skills development – 2 x sessions per week.
- Athletic and Physical development – 3 x sessions per week.
It has been a challenging term for various reasons even so the students have displayed amazing resilience and we are extremely proud of who they are becoming.
Written by Mr Dean Kinsman, Coach.
Here are the highlight and results from our tennis program.
- District Winners Year 8, 9/10 and 11/12, going on to the next round of the Victorian State Championships.
- RSA National Tournaments Result: Prischa Baliga - Winner Vic Junior State Championships, Runner Up Boroondara Summer Series AMT, Semi Finalist Yarra Valley AMT
- Liam Kindler - Winner Yarrawonga Junior Championships, Finalist Boroondara Junior Classic, Winner Doubles at Vic Country Champs + Traralgon + Bairnsdale Tournaments
- Steven Klasan - Winner Waverley Gold Juniors, Winner Pakenham Regional, Finalist Melbourne GIMCC JT, Winner at Doubles Pakenham + Frankston + Warrnambool + Wodonga Tournaments
- Daniel Bosco - Semi Finalist Mornington JT and Dingley JT, Quarter Finalist Peninsula JT + Hume JT, Doubles Semi Finalist at Mornington + Dingley + Vic Schoolboys + Bendigo
- Rhys Edwards - Finalist Canberra JT, Quarter Finalist at Frankston + Pakenham + Hume, Doubles Finalist at Hume + North Ringwood and Semis at Waverley + Pakenham + Frankston + Yarrawonga
- Joseph Mung - Quarter Finalist at Dendy Park + Pakenham + Frankston, Doubles Winner at Mornington and finalist at Pakenham + Traralgon.
Alana Parnaby who is one of the RSA Tennis Assistant Coaches when available and also one of AJs private students participated in the WTA Tour Event held in Adelaide in January. This is a Premier Event hosting players ranked inside the Top 100 internationally in which Ash Barty won the tournament. This has boosted Alana's ranking to the mid 600s internationally and inside the Top 30 in Australia Open Age. Well done Alana.
Written by AJ Muscillo, Tennis Coach.