House Swimming Carnival
The annual House swimming Carnival will be held at Melton Waves next Thursday 16th February. Parents, guardians, friends are all welcome to attend. Events will commence at about 10.00 and conclude about 2.15. All students must leave the pool area at the end of the carnival. Students will be dismissed from the pool. Students attending on the day will be all of Yr.7 plus competitors from Yrs. 8-12.
Sport Scholarship Holders
Melton Secondary College welcomes all new students to our college, especially all those who will be involved in inter school sport. A special welcome to our Year 7 students who will be led by our Sport Scholarship holders.
The recipients this year are:
- Ryan Stammers (Wedge Park) and
- Ella Tyson (Melton West)
AFL Umpiring Training Programme
Melton Secondary College has been selected as one of the Secondary schools across Melbourne to host an umpiring academy run by AFL VIC. The program will run at our school one night a week in term 1. It is free. It will be run from 3.30-4.30, probably on a Wednesday afternoon. It is open to males and females and students will be equipped with the skills to begin umpiring (central and boundary) in the RDFL and get paid for it. You need to register with Mr. Darcy asap.
Melton SC Sport Facebook page
We have a Facebook page dedicated to our Interschool Sport and the Athlete Development Program (ADP) participants. Please have a look and ‘like” us to keep up to date with the many outstanding achievements by our students in sport. The page name is - Melton Secondary College - Sport/Sport Specialism.
Western Bulldogs Leadership Project
Melton SC has participated in this project every year since its inception 4 years ago. Last year we had 3 participants.
Due to the popularity of The Western Bulldogs Leadership Project, candidates must apply to participate by completing an online nomination form.
Click here to nominate for The Western Bulldogs Leadership Project
Nominations open Monday 30th January and close Friday 3rd March 2017.
Nominations can be completed via two avenues;
1. Self - completed by a prospective participant or
2. Adult - a referral from a parent, school teacher, coach etc
All applicants will be notified regarding the outcome of their nomination in mid-March.
Males and females in years 9 or 10 who live within the six participating councils (Brimbank, Glenelg, Hobsons Bay, Maribyrnong, Melton and Moonee Valley) are eligible to participate.
Candidates need not excel athletically or even play sport to be considered. We are looking for self-motivated young people who have the potential to become future community leaders.
A commitment to attending 80% of workshops between April and September is also required.
10 participants will be selected from each council based on the strength and detail of their applications.
Let Mr. Darcy know if you nominate or want to get him to do the nomination.
Amart Sports donated approximately $1500 worth of equipment at the end of 2016 to the Physical Education and Sport areas of our school as a rebate for our participation in the Community Kickbacks program (see below). We are very appreciative of this sponsorship and thank you to parents for nominating us as their recipient.
- If any parent/guardian wishes to help out in the sport program please feel free to contact Mr. Darcy. You can help out as an official at the swimming and/or the athletics carnivals or assist in umpiring any of the programmed sports. Parent participation is much appreciated.
- AMART SPORTS – Melton SC has joined the community kickbacks program with Amart Sports in Woodgrove. Every time you make a purchase just mention our school and we will receive 5% of the purchase amount. If you join online you will receive a loyalty and receive discounts etc as well as already having registered our school as your preferred community kickback. We have the same arrangement with REBEL SPORTS and their Season Pass kickback.
- School Sport Information - All information regarding School Sport information and State team selection trials can be found on the website – www.ssv.vic.edu.auStudents attending schools affiliated with SSV are eligible for selection in Victorian Teams to compete in 2017 School Sport Australia National Championships.Information on national events can be found at the Team Vic page on the School Sport Victoria website, www.ssv.vic.edu.au/TeamVic, or the School Sport Australia website, www.schoolsport.edu.au Registrations are now open to nominate to trial for a number of sports: -12yrs and under BOYS and GIRLS – Basketball, Netball, Cricket, Golf, Tennis, Touch Rugby and Soccer - 12yrs and under BOYS – AFL - 15yrs and under BOYS and GIRLS – Volleyball, Touch Rugby, AFL - 15yrs and under GIRLS – Netball - 16yrs and under BOYS - Soccer -17yrs and under BOYS and GIRLS - Golf - 18yrs and under BOYS and GIRLS – Tennis, Basketball - 18yrs and under GIRLS – Soccer - 10yrs-18yrs and under BOYS and GIRLS – Swimming
Tuesday 14 Feb – Cricket – Intermediate Boys at Melton Sth Reserve
Thursday 16 Feb – House Swimming Carnival at Melton Waves (Year 7 and Yr 8-12 competitors only)
Tuesday 28 February – Swimming –Western Ranges Division at Melton Waves
Friday 17 March– Tennis – Intermediate Boys and Girls at Sunbury
Monday 20 March– Tennis – Boys and Girls Year 7 and 8 at Sunbury
Tuesday 21 March – Rugby League 9’s – Senior boys and girls
Thursday 30 March– Swimming – Western Metropolitan Region at Geelong
Wednesday 26 April– Swimming – School Sport Victoria State Finals at MSAC
Friday 5 May – Athletics – House Athletics at Melton