It is that time of the year when students put themselves forward to be elected as House Forum Leaders. The following information from the Student Leadership Structure indicates the role and composition of the House Forums.
- Meet on a regular basis.
- To assist the House Leader in the organisation of the House and student participation at sports carnivals.
- To plan and co-ordinate the lunchtime house sports program.
- To communicate the business of this team to the appropriate student and school forums.
- Develop proposals from ideas and issues raised at house forums.
- Present house proposals to the Student Representative Council (SRC).
- Assist in the planning, co-ordination and management of house and school events.
- Communicate the business of the House Forum and SRC to the year level via assemblies and the tutor groups
Each House Forum consists of:
- House Captains
- 5 Forum Representative from each year level (year 7-11/12)
- Up to 5 discretionary Forum Leaders
- House Leader
Student voice is important at St. Peter’s College. It ensures students are treated with the same sort of respect that we expect all members of our College Community to be afforded. This is a basic human right that is enshrined in the first of our Rights, Responsibilities and Regulations of St. Peter’s College: To be treated with dignity and respect.
Student voice is also important because it ensures that the feedback, information and perspective that we get from students enables us to be the best school that we can be. Different perspectives and viewpoints ensure that the implementation of our rules and regulations deliver the best outcomes.
Finally, student voice is important as it builds resilience and responsibility in our students as they develop the confidence to speak up and articulate what is important to them. This is an important life skill and ensures a greater degree of child safety.
Students wishing to be Forum Leaders have already delivered speeches to their peers and a number may have also undergone interviews. The voting system is always a guide for our staff, as we make it clear to the students that appointment to leadership positions is not a popularity contest. All appointments have to be approved by College Leadership.
We thank all our students who have the courage of St. Peter in putting themselves forward for leadership positions and in doing so face judgment from their peers and teachers. This is indeed courageous and living our motto to “Be Not Afraid”.